Discover what to expect through the process of Invisalign® Treatment
The appearance of your smile impacts your personal and professional lives. Many patients have considered straightening their teeth but have been put off at the thought of traditional braces. The process of Invisalign treatment offers patients an option to achieve properly aligned teeth without the need for metal brackets and wires. Victoria Street Dental are your trusted Wellington Dentist for Invisalign treatments.
What to expect
Invisalign is a brand of orthodontic aligner trays. It can be used to treat mild to moderate orthodontic needs such as crowded, gapped, crooked, and misaligned teeth. Invisalign trays are fabricated from clear, BPA free plastic so they are safe, yet not visible to the general public. The trays are created using impressions of your teeth to ensure a snug fit around the teeth. This helps to avoid slipping while maintaining patient comfort.
Records which include x-ray, photographs and moulds of your teeth are taken to allow the dentist to devise a treatment plan. This plan uses a series of custom-made trays to gradually shift the teeth into proper alignment. The trays use gentle pressure rather than wires to move the teeth. Each set of trays is worn for a couple weeks as directed by the dentist. The trays are then discarded and a new set is worn. Each set has a different placement of pressure to promote continuous, gentle shifting of the teeth. Regular visits with your dentist are used to assess and monitor your progress.
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment. The trays are convenient, removable, and subtle. From start to finish, our team makes sure you know what to expect from the Invisalign treatment process.
- Consultation – Patients who are interested in orthodontic correction need a consultation with the dentist to determine if Invisalign is an appropriate treatment.
- Treatment plan – Images and impressions are necessary to create custom aligner trays. The dentist creates a personalized treatment plan which includes the movement of the teeth and the estimated length of the treatment. Treatment time varies from patient to patient. Most patients are treated in approximately 12 months.
- Aligner trays – Invisalign trays are barely noticeable to the general public. They are made of clear, BPA-free plastic. Trays should be worn for 20 to 22 hours daily or as directed by the dentist for optimal results.
- Periodic checks – Using multiple sets of trays with differently placed pressure, the patient’s teeth are gradually shifted into proper alignment. Periodic checks with the dentist will ensure the treatment is progressing as planned.
- Retainers – Wearing a retainer after your Invisalign treatment is a must in order to maintain your beautiful new smile.
One of the key factors in the success of Invisalign treatment lies with the patient. Aligner trays are removable. The more frequently they are removed, the less effective they are. Invisalign trays should only be removed to eat or to care for the teeth. Adhering to the dentist’s instructions ensure optimal results. Not following these instructions can hinder the effects of the treatment or create the need for future orthodontic correction.
Invisalign is a popular, effective treatment for teenagers and adults. It has become popular for the following reasons:
- Nearly invisible – Made of clear, BPA-free plastic, the aligner trays are not noticeable when patients are speaking or interacting with others. This allows for orthodontic correction without anyone knowing. With proper cleaning and rinsing, the trays remain invisible to the general public.
- Comfortable – Since they are created from impressions of your teeth, the aligner trays custom designed to fit snugly. They do not move around in the mouth.
- Removable – Trays can be removed to eat, drink, brush, and floss. Patients do not have to worry about particles from food or drinks getting stuck in the trays.
- Individualized – The trays and treatment plan are designed for each patient’s orthodontic needs.
Invisalign orthodontic treatments do more than just straighten and align the teeth. Straight teeth are generally healthier than crooked, misaligned teeth. The smile is improved aesthetically and functionally. Crooked, crowded teeth take away your smile but they are also harder to clean and floss. Straight teeth are easier to clean since there are fewer hard-to-reach areas where bacteria can hide and accumulate. The patient’s bite is improved. The overall smile is enhanced.