What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are titanium posts that are placed into the jawbone beneath your gum to replicate the root of the missing tooth. Once the implant has integrated and healed it can then provide a strong foundation for a dental crown to be placed onto the dental implant to mimic the missing tooth. Dental implants can be used to replace a single tooth, multiple teeth or even a whole arch of teeth.
What are the advantages of Dental Implants?
There are many advantages to dental implants, including:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. They are designed to fuse with the bone so they are a permanent solution that does not require removal.
- Improved speech. Implants are fixed onto the jaw bone, therefore, it allows you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip. Compared with poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing slurred speech.
- Easier eating. Missing teeth and sliding dentures can make chewing difficult or impossible in severe cases. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat with stability and confidence.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health. Dental implants are often easier to maintain as they function and maintain like a normal tooth. Because the procedures don’t require reducing other teeth like tooth-supported bridge or dentures, the nearby teeth remain intact improving the long-term health of them.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will generally last many years providing there you take good care of it.
- Convenience. Dentures require routinely removing to clean however dental implants eliminate the embarrassment of removing as well as the need for messy adhesive glues to keep them in place.
Can anyone get Dental Implants?
In most cases, anyone healthy enough to undergo a routine dental extraction or oral surgery can be considered for a dental implant. Patients should have healthy gums and enough bone to support the implant. They also must be committed to lifelong of good oral hygiene which includes good home care routine and regular dental visits.
Heavy smokers, people suffering from uncontrolled chronic disorders such as diabetes or heart disease or patients who have had radiation therapy to the head/neck area need to be evaluated on an individual basis.
We are your trusted Wellington Dentist! If you are considering implants, book in now to talk to a dentist to see if they are right for you.
To learn more and see if Dental Implants is right for you, please book in for a FREE no obligation consultation with our friendly dentist today! Victoria Street Dental, conveniently located in Wellington CBD.