Your teeth can have a big effect on your appearance and confidence. Having the right oral hygiene routine is essential in keeping your teeth healthy. We understand that not everyone knows what the ideal oral hygiene routine should look like. In this post, we give you some tips on how to establish a good routine for your oral health.
Brush Your Teeth
● Brush your teeth for 2 minutes, spending an equal amount of time in each quadrant of your mouth.
● Hold your brush at a 45-degree angle pointed towards the gums.
● Brush all surfaces of your teeth.
● Brush your teeth twice a day.
For best results, we recommend you use a fluoride-based toothpaste and a good toothbrush (standard or electric). Brushing is an important part of your oral hygiene as it removes plaque and stimulates your gums, preventing gum disease.
Use Dental Floss
● Use a good dental floss that is recommended by your dentist.
● Floss once a day.
● Don’t forget to floss the back of your mouth.
● To properly floss, wrap each end around your finger and insert it gently between your teeth.
● While flossing, follow the curve of your teeth to avoid damaging your gums.
● Repeat this procedure for each tooth.
Note: If you have bridges or braces, the type of floss required may be different than the store bought ones. Consult your dental specialist for a recommended dental floss product.
Rinse With Mouthwash
● After brushing and flossing your teeth, rinse your mouth with mouthwash.
● For proper usage, take a small sip and swoosh it around your mouth for 40-60 seconds. Spit the mouthwash out when complete.
Clean Your Tongue To Improve Breath
Most toothbrushes have a tongue cleaner opposite the brush area. However, for the best results, we recommend having an appropriate tongue scraper. To use the tongue scraper, brush it gently against your tongue. Rinse with water once complete.
Our Tips For Optimal Oral Hygiene
● Visit your dental hygienist regularly for check-ups and cleaning. We recommend an appointment every 6 months.
● When using the above oral hygiene routine, examine your mouth to make sure there are no abnormalities.
● Eat a healthy and balanced diet recommended by your dentist.
An important part of having a good oral hygiene routine is understanding what your oral needs are. Having regular check-ups by a specialized dental hygienist is necessary to keep your oral health in check.
If you have any questions about your oral hygiene routine or need a check-up, Victoria Street Dental is a Wellington dentist offering a number of dental services. Contact us today to request more information or to book an appointment.